Unfortunately, this is typically a topic that comes up after the fact, but all of us in California are vulnerable to earthquakes. We were just reminded of that with the recent earthquake in the Napa area. We hope that all the residents affected are safe and only suffered minimal damage if any to their homes and property.
There are many things you can do to prepare your Coastal home in case of an earthquake. It’s also important for your family to be prepared with an earthquake preparedness plan, to review the proper safety procedures periodically and make sure young children understand.
This plan includes the following:
- Make a safe designated meeting spot in the house where, if possible, the family can meet. This should be a place that is protected by sturdy furniture or interior structural walls.
- Keep a stock of non-perishable foods, at least 3 gallons of water for each member of your family (including pets), an up-to-date first aid kit, a working battery-operated radio and flashlights with extra batteries, blankets and tools. You may also want to invest in some dust masks and goggles.
- Know how to turn off your gas and water mains.
- Be aware of placing trophies and other heavy items on high shelves or mounted to walls. Keep breakables in cabinets that can be locked.
- Anchor tall furniture to the walls such as entertainment centers, dressers and bookshelves. (Not a bad idea if you have a small child that may climb, to keep furniture from toppling on them).
- Designate a particular fireproof, locked cabinet to hold all flammable and combustible products like spray paints, gasoline, and other products. Never keep them near a heat-producing appliance.
No one can predict exactly when a quake will hit so be aware of your surroundings and if shaking does begin, take cover until you’re sure it’s safe and stay away from windows if possible.
We hope that it never happens but it’s important to make sure your home is as prepared as your family in the event of an earthquake. If you have decided it’s your time to buy a coastside home, our goal is to guide you through the process from the beginning to the purchase of your new home and beyond. Contact us today via email or give us a call at (650) 888-6903.
The Rain Team offers unparalleled service to ALL clients in the San Mateo County, including areas such as Half Moon Bay, El Granada, Moss Beach, Montara, and Pacifica. Your complete satisfaction with our service and representation is our number one priority.
*Photo Courtesy of Earth Shakes